Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Week 7: Thing 16

I like the idea of wikis, because you can add to the homepage of a particular subject. Before this exercise I visited wikipedia to learn about some wrestlers. I like being able to update the information or other users updating the information.

My favorite wikis are the ones about a particular subject. It helps to have the site continually updated by different users and to not depend on the originator for updates. It also broaden the scope of the subject by how others search/ look at the subject.

I also like the book lovers were you could list a link to a review on a book. The wiki had different types of literature and a link to the review done by different people. If I am into romance, I could use the wiki to read reviews or add reviews of books. It helps me because I am not always into the type of books being discussed at book talks here at the library.

A book lovers wiki helps bring in the teens and young adults. Book talks often forget about teen and young adults. They read different literature then adults. They often will not take the time to come in for this type of event, but if you ofter them a place to go online and check out books in a event of a book lovers' wiki night, then I think they would come.

In general it helps those at home to use library resources of databases, because the wiki would list terms and a link to a section on a database for that particular subject. It is more attractive to users then just a homepage of links to different databases.

No comments: